Deep Truths Header
Bible Topics: Boldness
Definition: Behavior which exhibits courage; fearlessness; standing out in a very noticeable way.
1. As Christians, we should be bold and unashamed of the truth and our righteous cause.
- Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
- 1 Samuel 17:45,46a,47 [David's example of boldly challenging Goliath:] Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the Name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, Whom thou hast defied. 46a This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand. … 47 And all this assembly shall know that the Lord saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's, and He will give you into our hands.
- Mark 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of Me and of My Words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when He cometh in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.
- Luke 12:8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess Me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God.
- Romans 1:16a For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto Salvation to every one that believeth.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:2b We were bold in our God to speak to you the Gospel of God with much contention [in spite of strong opposition].
2. Stand up for Jesus!
- Matthew 5:14-16 Ye are the light of the world, a city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.
- Psalm 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy.
- Psalm 119:46 I will speak of Thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
- Isaiah 62:6b Ye that make mention of the Lord, keep not silence.
- 2 Corinthians 4:13 [If we believe in something, we talk about it:] We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak.
- Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
- 1 John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the Day of Judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world.
3. Jesus's sample of speaking with conviction and spiritual authority.
- Matthew 7:28,29 When Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at His doctrine: 29 For He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
- John 7:46b Never man spake like this Man.
4. The boldness of the Apostle Paul.
- Acts 9:29 And he [Paul, shortly after his conversion] spake boldly in the Name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him.
- Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the Kingdom of God.
- Acts 20:20 I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house.
- Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the Gospel of the grace of God.
- Acts 28:30,31 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house [in Rome], and received all that came in unto him, 31 Preaching the Kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
- Ephesians 6:19,20 And for me, [pray] that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the Gospel. 20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
5. Other examples of boldness:
- Genesis 18:17-32 [Abraham boldly spoke and even bargained with the Lord and His angels trying to stave off the judgement of Sodom and Gomorrah if a few righteous people were found there.]
- Exodus 33:9-23 [Moses boldly intercedes for the Children of Israel, whom the Lord was about to destroy. The Lord not only listened to Moses and spared the people, but He showed Himself to Moses as no other man had seen him before or since.]
6. Boldness results from faith and living close to Jesus and the Word.
- Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
- Psalm 119:6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all Thy commandments.
- Proverbs 14:26a In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence.
- Matthew 12:34b Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
- 2 Corinthians 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness [boldness] of speech.
- Ephesians 3:12 In Whom [Jesus] we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of Him.
- 1 Peter 3:15a But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you.
7. Boldness: a gift of God -- and it's yours for the asking.
- Jeremiah 1:6-9 Then said I, Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. 7 But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. 8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord. 9 Then the Lord put forth His hand, and touched my mouth. And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put My Words in thy mouth. [See also verses 10,17,18.]
- Acts 1:8 [Just before His ascension into Heaven, Jesus told His disciples in Jerusalem:] But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. [A week later, the disciples received this power and were transformed! That same day Peter, who had denied the Lord three times, as well as all the other disciples who had forsaken Jesus and fled when He was arrested in the garden of Gethsemane, went out in the streets of Jerusalem to boldly proclaim the Word to thousands, and established the Early Church!]
- Acts 4:29,31 [After Peter and John and been released by the counsel of Jewish leaders, they prayed with the other disciples:] 29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto Thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak Thy Word. 31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the Word of God with boldness.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions
Dear Visitor, if this article or website has been a blessing to you, would you please consider to send me a gift through Paypal for my support as a missionary in Japan? I am 66 years old with no steady income. I am also the webmaster of jamesjpn.net and you can read my bio on it.
You can send to my Paypal account: firstname.lastname@example.org
Because Deep Truths is not an official charity recognized by Paypal, please do not designate the funds as a "donation" for Paypal has rules against non-registered charities receiving gifts. It should be designated for "services rendered without shipping."
I hope you find this website a blessing.
Sincerely in Christ,
Webmaster of Deep Truths in Niigata City, Japan.
Switch to a printer friendly page. / Switch back to formatted page.
Did you like this page? Please tell me about it!
If you'd like more inspirational material,
subscribe to Activated!
Each issue deals with topics that count, such as:
- Success with People
- The Future
...and much more--all in terms that are relatable and easy to follow. Personal accounts from active Christians around the world confirm that God is still alive and working just as wonderfully as ever on behalf of those who love Him.
Put that power to work for you! Connect with the source of love, happiness, peace, freedom, contentment, and the rest of the best life has to offer--God, who the Bible says is love. Change your life! Change your world! Get activated!
[ More Bible Topics ]
> [ Deep Truths Home ]