Deep Truths Header
Bible Topics: Frustration
Definition: A feeling of disappointment or defeat at being unable to accomplish one's purpose.
1. Frustration is an indication of a lack of faith and trust in the Lord.
- Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
- Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
- Romans 8:25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
- Philippians 4:6,7 Be careful [anxious; troubled with cares] for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- Hebrews 10:35,36 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. 36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
2. Sometimes the Lord allows our plans to be frustrated because it's simply not His time or His will.
- Numbers 22:18b I cannot go beyond the Word of the Lord my God, to do less or more.
- Proverbs 13:12 [God's delays are not always denials.] Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.
- Proverbs 21:30 [If the Lord doesn't want something done, no matter how "good" your ideas and plans are, they won't work!] There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the Lord.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the Heaven.
- 2 Corinthians 13:8 For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.
- James 4:13-15 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
- Psalm 37:4,5 [If you put the Lord first and trust Him, He'll help things to work out.] Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 5 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.
3. Frustration can result from trying to do things in our own strength.
- Psalm 20:7,8 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the Name of the Lord our God. 8 They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright.
- Psalm 44:6 I will not trust in my bow, neither shall my sword save me.
- Psalm 127:1a Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it.
- Jeremiah 17:5 Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.
- Zechariah 4:6b Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts. [See also Psalm 118:8.]
- John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing. [See also 9:33 .]
4. Sometimes frustration results from attempting a task that is beyond our training and experience or is not our "calling."
- Psalm 131:1 Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.
- Proverbs 15:22 [Taking good counsel before any endeavor is a good way to avoid potential frustrations.] Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.
- Jeremiah 45:5a Seekest thou great things for thyself? Seek them not.
- Luke 14:28-30 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? 29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, 30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
- Romans 12:16b Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
- 1 Corinthians 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called. [See also Proverbs 27:8.]
5. Regardless of the source of frustration, pray to be more patient, trusting, and dependent upon the Lord.
- Psalm 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
- Psalm 145:18-19 The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon Him, to all that call upon Him in truth. 19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear Him: He also will hear their cry, and will save them.
- Luke 8:15b Bring forth fruit with patience.
- Romans 5:3-5a And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5a And hope maketh not ashamed [disappointed].
- Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
- 2 Peter 1:5,6 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith ... 6 temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience Godliness.
6. Let the Lord do it through you -- in His way and in His time.
- Isaiah 30:15a For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.
- Matthew 6:10b Thy will be done in earth, as it is in Heaven.
- Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
- 2 Corinthians 3:4,5 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God.
- Matthew 26:39b [Jesus had to yield His will to God, too.] O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt.
- John 5:30 I can of Mine Own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and My judgment is just; because I seek not Mine Own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions
Dear Visitor, if this article or website has been a blessing to you, would you please consider to send me a gift through Paypal for my support as a missionary in Japan? I am 66 years old with no steady income. I am also the webmaster of jamesjpn.net and you can read my bio on it.
You can send to my Paypal account: email@example.com
Because Deep Truths is not an official charity recognized by Paypal, please do not designate the funds as a "donation" for Paypal has rules against non-registered charities receiving gifts. It should be designated for "services rendered without shipping."
I hope you find this website a blessing.
Sincerely in Christ,
Webmaster of Deep Truths in Niigata City, Japan.
Switch to a printer friendly page. / Switch back to formatted page.
Did you like this page? Please tell me about it!
If you'd like more inspirational material,
subscribe to Activated!
Each issue deals with topics that count, such as:
- Success with People
- The Future
...and much more--all in terms that are relatable and easy to follow. Personal accounts from active Christians around the world confirm that God is still alive and working just as wonderfully as ever on behalf of those who love Him.
Put that power to work for you! Connect with the source of love, happiness, peace, freedom, contentment, and the rest of the best life has to offer--God, who the Bible says is love. Change your life! Change your world! Get activated!
[ More Bible Topics ] [ Deep Truths Home ]