Definition: In this instance, swearing or cursing is the use of blasphemous, profane or vulgar language.
1.Cursing is ungodly and immoral, coming from an evil heart.
* Matthew 12:34b,35 How can ye, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
* Psalm 10:7 [The psalmist David describes the wicked:] His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.
* Proverbs 15:28b The mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.
* Romans 3:12-14 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: 14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.
2.Cursing will defile and corrupt you and others.
* Psalm 109:17 As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.
* Proverbs 10:14b The mouth of the foolish is near destruction.
* Proverbs 12:13a The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips. [See also Proverbs 13:3b.]
* Proverbs 18:7 A fool’s mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul.
* Ecclesiastes 10:12b The lips of a fool will swallow up himself.
* Matthew 12:36,37 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
* Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
* 1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
* 2 Timothy 2:16 But shun profane [irreverent] and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
* James 3:6,9 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of Hell. 9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
[See also Psalm 109:17,18.]
3.Cursing is chink in your armor, an inroad for the Enemy.
* Proverbs 15:4 A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.
* Matthew 26:74 [Peter, in his third denial of Christ, resorted to cursing:] Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the Man. And immediately the cock crew.
4.Take a positive stand against cursing, both in your own life and in your associations with others.
* Psalm 17:3b I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
* Psalms 50:23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth Me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the Salvation of God.
* Psalm 141:3 Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
* Proverbs 4:24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
* Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
* Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
* Ephesians 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
* Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. 12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
* Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
5.Cursing is often a result of pride or attempts to appear “cool.”
* Psalm 12:4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
* Psalm 59:12 For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.
* 1 Samuel 17:43 [Goliath was a classic example of the ungodly cursing the righteous:] And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
6.Cursing is often the result of anger or impatience.
* Proverbs 29:20 Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? There is more hope of a fool than of him.
* Ecclesiastes 5:2 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in Heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
* James 1:19,20 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
7.Don’t even think of uttering a curse.
* Ecclesiastes 10:20 Curse not the king, no not in thy thought; and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter.
* Proverbs 30:32 If thou hast done foolishly in lifting up thyself, or if thou hast thought evil, lay thine hand upon thy mouth [before you speak it].
8.Don’t let others’ cursing provoke you to retaliate or resort to foul language.
* Job 2:7,9,10 [When the Lord allowed Satan to afflict Job’s wealth, family and health, Job refused to curse God:] So went Satan forth from the presence of the Lord, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown. 9 Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity [Godliness]? Curse God, and die. 10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
* Psalm 39:1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
* Ecclesiastes 7:21a,22 Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken. 22 For oftentimes also thine own heart knoweth that thou thyself likewise hast cursed others.
* James 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
* 1 Peter 3:9,10 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing [insult for insult]: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. 10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions