Definition: To challenge to perform an action, especially as a proof of courage. Dares usually involve acts which are reckless, foolish, disobedient or in defiance of authority.
1.Examples from the Bible where the Devil, His persecutors, even His Own family challenged Jesus:
* Matthew 4:5-7 [Jesus uses the Word to defeat the Enemy who tempts Him to misuse His powers:] Then the Devil taketh Him up into the holy city, and setteth Him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto Him, If Thou be the Son of God, cast Thyself down: for it is written, He shall give His angels charge concerning Thee: and in their hands they shall bear Thee up, lest at any time Thou dash Thy foot against a stone. 7 Jesus said unto Him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord Thy God. [See also Luke 4:9-12.]
* Matthew 26:67,68 Then did they spit in His face, and buffeted Him; and others smote Him with the palms of their hands, 68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, Thou Christ, Who is he that smote Thee?
* Matthew 27:40-42 [Jesus’ persecutors dare Him to save Himself from the cross, but Jesus remained faithful to His mission:] Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save Thyself. If Thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. 41 Likewise also the chief priests mocking Him, with the scribes and elders, said, 42 He saved others; Himself He cannot save. If He be the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him.
* John 7:3,4 [Jesus’ flesh brothers dare Him to do miracles and to make Himself Someone of renown:] His brethren therefore said unto Him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that Thy disciples also may see the works that Thou doest. 4 For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and He himself seeketh to be known openly. If Thou do these things, shew Thyself to the world.
2.Though others may entice us to do foolish, unprayerful things, it is still within our own power to do what is right.
* Psalms 26:4,5 I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers. 5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
* Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
* Proverbs 4:14b-16 Go not in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. 16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
* Proverbs 9:6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
* Proverbs 13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
* Proverbs 15:21 Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly.
* Proverbs 26:18,19 As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death, 19 So is the man that deceiveth his neighbour, and saith, Am not I in sport?
* Ephesians 4:27 Neither give place to the Devil.
* Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
3.The Lord expects us to exercise wisdom, discretion, and common sense.
* Proverbs 2:11,12 Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee: 12 To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man that speaketh froward [stubbornly contrary] things. [See also Isaiah 28:26.]
* Proverbs 14:15 The simple [naïve] believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
* Proverbs 22:3 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.
* Proverbs 28:26 He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.
* James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
* 1 Peter 3:10,11 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: 11 Let him eschew [avoid, shun] evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
4.Pride and self-confidence are the perfect atmosphere for making foolishly risky decisions, which lead to a fall.
* Obadiah 1:3 The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?
* 2 Chronicles 26:16a [Young King Uzziah met his downfall through pride and self-confidence:] But when he was strong, his heart was lifted up to his destruction.
* Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. [See also Proverbs 18:12a.]
* 1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
[See also Isaiah 2:11,12.]
5.Those who tempt others to do wrong often fall prey to their own tricks.
* Proverbs 28:10a Whoso causeth the righteous to go astray in an evil way, he shall fall himself into his own pit.
* Proverbs 26:27 Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein: and he that rolleth a stone, it will return upon him.
* Ecclesiastes 10:8 He that diggeth a pit shall fall into it; and whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him.
6.The Lord is more than able to give us power to withstand the challenge of those who would lead us astray.
* Psalm 12:3,4 The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things: 4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
* Matthew 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For Thine is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
* 2 Peter 2:9a The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations. [See also Hebrews 2:18.]
7.Our only concern should be in pleasing the Lord, not in showing off in front of others.
* Acts 5:29b We ought to obey God rather than men.
* 1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
* Galatians 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
* Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by Whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
* 1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation [behavior], in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
8.Avoid the proud, boastful spirit which invites dares, as well as those who yield to that spirit.
* Exodus 23:2a [It doesn’t matter if “everyone” is doing it; if it’s wrong, it’s wrong:] Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil.
* 1 Samuel 2:3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by Him actions are weighed.
* Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
* Psalm 52:1 Why boastest thou thyself in mischief, O mighty man? The goodness of God endureth continually.
* Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.
* Proverbs 9:6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
* Proverbs 14:7 Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge.
* Proverbs 22:5 Thorns and snares are in the way of the froward: he that doth keep his soul shall be far from them.
* Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
* Jeremiah 9:23,24 Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: 24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth Me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.
* 1 Corinthians 1:29-31 That no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, Who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. [See also 1 Corinthians 3:21.]
* Ephesians 5:6,7 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions