1. God designed us to need the help of others.
* Genesis 2:18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
* 1 Corinthians 12:12,21,25 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. … 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. … 25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
2. God wants to provide the help we need.
* 2 Chronicles32:8b With us is the Lord our God to help us, and to fight our battles.
* Psalm 20:1,2 The Lord hear thee in the day of trouble; the Name of the God of Jacob defend thee; 2 Send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion.
* Psalm 28:7a The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped.
* Psalm 33:20 Our soul waiteth for the Lord: He is our help and our shield.
* Psalm 42:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted in me? Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.
* Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
* Psalm 63:7 Because Thou hast been My help, therefore in the shadow of Thy wings will I rejoice.
* Psalm 94:17 Unless the Lord had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.
* Psalm 115:11 Ye that fear the Lord, trust in the Lord: He is their help and their shield.
* Psalm 121:1,2 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. 2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made Heaven and earth.
* Psalm 146:5 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God.
* Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness.
* Isaiah 65:24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
* Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
3. But we must ask for His help.
* Psalm 22:19 But be not Thou far from me, O Lord: O my strength, haste Thee to help me.
* Psalm 60:11 Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.
* Psalm 40:17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: Thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.
* Psalm 119:173 Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen Thy precepts.
* Matthew 7:7,8 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
* Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
* John 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in My Name, I will do it.
* John 16:24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My Name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
* Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
* James 4:2b Ye have not, because ye ask not.
* 1 John 5:14,15 And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He heareth us: 15 And if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him.
4. We need the help of others as well.
* 1 Samuel 23:16 [These two close friends were a great strength one to another.] And Jonathan Saul’s son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God.
* 1 Chronicles 19:10-12 [Joab and his brother, Abishai, were a strength in battle, one to another.] Now when Joab saw that the battle was set against him before and behind, he chose out of all the choice of Israel, and put them in array against the Syrians. 11 And the rest of the people he delivered unto the hand of Abishai his brother, and they set themselves in array against the children of Ammon. 12 And he said, If the Syrians be too strong for me, then thou shalt help me: but if the children of Ammon be too strong for thee, then I will help thee.
* Ecclesiastes 4:9,10,12 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. … 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
* Ezra 1:3,4 [King Cyrus, who allowed and helped the Jews rebuild their temple, encouraged those who didn’t actually do the work to at least help the work financially.] Who is there among you of all his people? His God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of the Lord God of Israel, (He is the God,) which is in Jerusalem. 4 And whosoever remaineth in any place where he sojourneth, let the men of his place help him with silver, and with gold, and with goods, and with beasts, beside the freewill offering for the house of God that is in Jerusalem.
* Proverbs 15:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established. [See also Proverbs 11:14.]
* Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
* Mark 6:7 [Jesus sent out His disciples two by two, to be a strength to one another.] And He called unto Him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits.
5. Even Moses, with all of his talents, training, anointing and divine calling, needed the help of others.
* Exodus 4:10,14b,16 And Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto Thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue. … 14b And He said, Is not Aaron the Levite thy brother? I know that he can speak well. And also, behold, he cometh forth to meet thee: and when he seeth thee, he will be glad in his heart. … 16 And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people: and he shall be, even he shall be to thee instead of a mouth, and thou shalt be to him instead of God. [See also verses 10-16.]
* Exodus 17:12 But Moses’ hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
* Exodus 18:18,21,22 [Jethro counsels Moses to delegate some of his responsibilities:] Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone. … 21 Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens: 22 And let them judge the people at all seasons: and it shall be, that every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge: so shall it be easier for thyself, and they shall bear the burden with thee. [See also verses 13-26.]
* Exodus 24:13 And Moses rose up, and his minister [servant] Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God. [See also Exodus 33:11.]
6. If we are wise, we will avail ourselves of the strengths and talents of others.
* Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels. [See also 11:14; 15:22; 19:20.]
* Proverbs 13:20a He that walketh with wise men shall be wise.
* Proverbs 20:5 Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out.
7. As Christians motivated by the Lord’s love, we can always depend upon one another for help.
* Proverbs 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
* Proverbs 18:24b There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
* Galatians 5:13b By love serve one another.
* Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions