Deep Truths Header
Bible Topics: Calling, Abiding in Your
Definition: Our Christian "calling" refers to the kind of ministry for which we are best fitted and appointed by the Lord.
1. The Lord has a special calling for each of us, the place where He knows we can be of greatest service to Him and His Kingdom.
- Romans 12:4-6a For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6a Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us.
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-12,17-20,28,29 [God gives gifts and talents to help you fulfill your ministry.] But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body:
so also is Christ. … 17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? 18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased Him. 19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. … 28 And God hath set some in the Church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? [See also Ephesians 4:11,12.]
- 1 Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
2. The first step in finding God's calling for our lives is to sincerely desire His will.
- 1 Chronicles 28:9b Serve Him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind.
- Psalm 40:8 I delight to do Thy will, O my God: yea, Thy law is within my heart.
- Psalm 119:47 And I will delight myself in Thy commandments, which I have loved.
- Matthew 6:10b Thy will be done in earth, as it is in Heaven.
- John 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of Him that sent Me, and to finish His work.
- Romans 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
- 2 Corinthians 8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
- Ephesians 6:5,6b Be obedient … 6b as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.
3. Next, we must have no will of our own.
- Luke 22:42 [Jesus prayed to His Father:] Father, if Thou be willing, remove this cup from Me: nevertheless not My will, but Thine, be done.
- John 5:30b I seek not Mine Own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me.
- John 6:38 For I came down from Heaven, not to do Mine Own will, but the will of Him that sent Me.
4. Pray for the Lord to show you your calling.
- Psalm 25:4,5,12 Shew me Thy ways, O Lord; teach me Thy paths. 5 Lead me in Thy truth, and teach me: for Thou art the God of my Salvation; on Thee do I wait all the day. … 12 What man is he that feareth the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way that He shall choose.
- Psalm 119:5,35 O that my ways were directed to keep Thy statutes! … 35 Make me to go in the path of Thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
- Psalm 143:10a Pray: Teach me to do Thy will.
- John 16:13,14 Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify Me: for He shall receive of Mine, and shall shew it unto you.
- Ephesians 1:17-18a [Pray:] that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him. 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of His calling.
- Colossians 1:9b [Pray:] that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:16,17 Now our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, 17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.
- 2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His Own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.
5. We must also be ready to respond to the Lord's call without hesitation or reservation.
- Matthew 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen [because few choose to be chosen].
- Romans 1:5,6 [We] have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for His Name: 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ.
- Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. [See also verses 16,19.]
- Romans 12:1,2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Hebrews 10:22,23 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised;)
6. Even if you feel incapable or inadequate, the Lord will empower and anoint you to fill the place He has for you.
- 1 Corinthians 1:26-29 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in His presence.
- Job 17:9 The righteous also shall hold on His way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.
- Zechariah 4:6b Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.
- 2 Corinthians 3:5,6a Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; 6a Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament.
- Ephesians 3:20 [Jesus] is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to [His] power that worketh in us.
- Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:24 Faithful is He that calleth you, Who also will do it.
7. Once God reveals His calling for our lives, we must pursue it wholeheartedly!
- Acts 20:24 But none of these things [trials and tribulations] move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the Gospel of the grace of God.
- Philippians 3:13,14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- 1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
- 2 Peter 1:10 Give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall.
8. Once we find our calling or ministry, we need to be faithful and stick to it!
- Proverbs 27:8 As a bird that wandereth from her nest, so is a man that wandereth from his place.
- 1 Corinthians 7:17b As the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk.
- 1 Corinthians 7:20 Let every man abide [remain faithful to; continue] in the same calling wherein he was called.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:11,12a Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of His goodness, and the work of faith with power: 12a That the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you.
- 2 Timothy 4:7,8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing.
- Hebrews 3:1,2a Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the Heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2a Who was faithful to Him that appointed Him [God].
- Revelation 17:14b He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
9. Don't let the Enemy or anyone else belittle, discourage or dissuade you from fulfilling your calling; for your labors will be rewarded.
- Zechariah 4:10a For who hath despised the day of small things?
- Job 8:7 Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.
- Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- Matthew 13:31-33 [God gets big results from little things:] Another parable put He forth unto them, saying, The Kingdom of Heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: 32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof. 33 Another parable spake He unto them; The Kingdom of Heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
- Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
- Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the Day of Jesus Christ.
- Hebrews 10:35,36 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. 36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
- Revelation 3:11 Behold, I [Jesus] come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
10. Faithfulness in the place to which God has called you to invariably leads to greater ministries.
- Matthew 25:23 [Faithfully use and invest the talents God has given you:] His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
- Luke 16:10a He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much. [See also verses 11,12.]
- Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions
Dear Visitor, if this article or website has been a blessing to you, would you please consider to send me a gift through Paypal for my support as a missionary in Japan? I am 66 years old with no steady income. I am also the webmaster of jamesjpn.net and you can read my bio on it.
You can send to my Paypal account: email@example.com
Because Deep Truths is not an official charity recognized by Paypal, please do not designate the funds as a "donation" for Paypal has rules against non-registered charities receiving gifts. It should be designated for "services rendered without shipping."
I hope you find this website a blessing.
Sincerely in Christ,
Webmaster of Deep Truths in Niigata City, Japan.
Switch to a printer friendly page. / Switch back to formatted page.
Did you like this page? Please tell me about it!
If you'd like more inspirational material,
subscribe to Activated!
Each issue deals with topics that count, such as:
- Success with People
- The Future
...and much more--all in terms that are relatable and easy to follow. Personal accounts from active Christians around the world confirm that God is still alive and working just as wonderfully as ever on behalf of those who love Him.
Put that power to work for you! Connect with the source of love, happiness, peace, freedom, contentment, and the rest of the best life has to offer--God, who the Bible says is love. Change your life! Change your world! Get activated!
[ More Bible Topics ]
> [ Deep Truths Home ]