Bible Topics: Daydreaming and unprofitable thoughts
Definitions: Daydreaming is to have dreamlike musings or fantasies while awake. Unprofitable thoughts are the result of daydreaming, idleness, or worse yet, evil, rebellious thoughts given by the Enemy.
1. The Devil is battling for control of us through our minds.
- Ephesians 2:2,3a Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3a Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind.
- Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- 1 Peter 5:8,9 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
2. Daydreaming may seem harmless at first, but if unchecked it can destroy our usefulness.
- Proverbs 19:15 Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger.
- Proverbs 25:28 He that hath no rule over his own spirit [or thoughts!] is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.
- Jeremiah 7:24 [Daydreaming can lead to backsliding.] But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.
- 2 Peter 2:19b For of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
3. Daydreaming and unprofitable thoughts leads us away from the Lord.
- Proverbs 24:9a The thought of foolishness is sin.
- Isaiah 65:2 I have spread out My hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walked in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts.
- Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
- Ephesians 4:17,18 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind. 18 Having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart.
- Galatians 3:1a O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched [entranced] you, that ye should not obey the truth...?
4. Take a militant stand against daydreaming and bring your thoughts into subjection.
- Psalm 119:113 I hate vain thoughts: but Thy law do I love.
- Isaiah 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.
- Luke 11:21 [We've got to stay on guard in our thoughts.] When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace.
- Romans 13:11,12 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our Salvation nearer than when we believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4,5 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
- Ephesians 4:27 Neither give place to the Devil.
- 1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
- 1 Peter 4:1a Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind.
- James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.
5. Fight daydreaming by keeping your mind on the Lord, the work at hand and the goals ahead.
- Proverbs 21:5a The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness.
- Romans 8:5,6 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
- Philippians 3:13b,14 [Don't be distracted by thoughts of the past:] Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Romans 13:11,12 And that knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our Salvation nearer than when we believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.
6. Ask yourself, "Is this what the Lord wants me to be thinking about now?"
- Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my Redeemer.
- Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
- Isaiah 26:3a Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee.
- Jeremiah 4:14 Wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?
- Mark 12:30 Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with ... all thy mind: ... this is the first commandment.
- Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
- Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus. [See also 1 Corinthians 2:16b.]
7. The danger of imagination, when not under God's control:
- Genesis 6:5 [Before the flood, man's evil runaway imagination brought about his downfall.] And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
- Genesis 8:21b The imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth. [See Matthew 15:19.]
- Psalm 2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
- Psalm 140:1,2a [David prayed:] Deliver me, O Lord, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man; 2 Which imagine mischiefs in their heart.
- Jeremiah 11:8a [Rebelliousness is a fertile field for the Devil's thoughts.] Yet they obeyed not, nor inclined their ear, but walked every one in the imagination of their evil heart. [See also 13:10; 16:12; 18:12.]
- Zechariah 7:10b [When you're angry with others, it could be an inroad for the Enemy's thoughts.] And let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart. [See also 8:17a.]
8. Fight daydreaming and unprofitable thoughts with the Word!
- Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
- Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
- Psalm 94:19 In the multitude of my thoughts within me Thy comforts delight my soul.
- Psalm 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy commandments.
- Psalm 119:15,16 I will meditate in Thy precepts, and have respect unto Thy ways. 16 I will delight myself in Thy statutes: I will not forget Thy Word.
- Psalm 119:59 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto Thy testimonies.
- Psalm 119:113 I hate vain thoughts: but Thy law do I love.
- Psalm 139:17 How precious also are Thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them!
- 1 Timothy 4:15 Meditate upon these things [the Word]; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. [See also Psalm 1:1; Joshua 1:8.]
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions
Dear Visitor, In December 2016, due to poorer and poorer eyesight, I went to an eye doctor and was told I have glaucoma and advanced cataracts. The doctor said I need two operations to restore my eyesight. However, I cannot afford to have medical surgery on my eyes at this time (now February) because of low income. The jobs I work at are seasonal with spring and autumn being the best. It won't be till some time in April I may be able to earn money locally again. Because of medical insurance, the operations should not be much more than a few hundred dollars each, but like everyone else, I also have to get enough money for rent, food and utilities which makes it harder to save money. I also had an unexpected medical expense in January for an enlarged prostrate condition which cost about $200. Thanks be to God I am nearly 100% recovered from it!
A few people have already sent me some funds, so far four friends and three people I do not know personally but who apparently appreciate my Deep Truths website! For them I am eternally grateful.
If God touches your heart, and especially if you have been a frequent visitor to this website, would you please send me a gift through Paypal so I afford to get my eyes fixed? I am also the webmaster of jamesjpn.net and you can read my bio on it.
You can send to my Paypal account: firstname.lastname@example.org
Because Deep Truths is not an official charity recognized by Paypal, please do not designate the funds as a "donation" for Paypal has rules against non-registered charities receiving gifts. It should be designated for "services rendered without shipping."
I pray you find this website a blessing.
Sincerely in Christ,
Switch to a printer friendly page. / Switch back to formatted page.
Did you like this page? Please tell me about it!
If you'd like more inspirational material,
subscribe to Activated!
Each issue deals with topics that count, such as:
- Success with People
- The Future
...and much more--all in terms that are relatable and easy to follow. Personal accounts from active Christians around the world confirm that God is still alive and working just as wonderfully as ever on behalf of those who love Him.
Put that power to work for you! Connect with the source of love, happiness, peace, freedom, contentment, and the rest of the best life has to offer--God, who the Bible says is love. Change your life! Change your world! Get activated!
[ More Bible Topics ] [ Deep Truths Home ]