Definition: To fascinate is to grip so as to take away the power to move, act, or think for oneself; to attract and hold by charming qualities.
1. Because the Lord abhors evil, those who are drawn to it alienate themselves from Him.
* Genesis 6:5,6 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the Lord that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart.
* Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.
* Proverbs 1:28,29 Then shall they call upon Me, but I will not answer; they shall seek Me early, but they shall not find Me: 29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord.
* Proverbs 6:16,18 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto Him: … 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief.
* Proverbs 15:26a The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination unto the Lord.
* Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid His face from you, that He will not hear.
* Micah 3:4 Then shall they cry unto the Lord, but He will not hear them: He will even hide His face from them at that time, as they have behaved themselves ill in their doings.
* 1 Corinthians 10:5,6 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness. 6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
2. It is not a sin to be tempted with evil; it becomes a sin when we choose to entertain it.
* Romans 7:19-23 [The enemy is always trying to tempt us; but we don’t have to give in.] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
* 1 Thessalonians 3:5 For this cause … I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the Tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.
* James 1:13,14 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth He any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
3. We can’t be thinking the Lord’s thoughts while enticed by Satan’s thoughts.
* Matthew 6:24a No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.
* Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
* Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
* 1 Corinthians 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils.
* 2 Corinthians 6:14b What fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?
4. The Lord will judge those who entertain a fascination for evil instead of choosing His ways.
* Deuteronomy 30:19 I call Heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.
* 1 Kings 18:21a And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? If the Lord be God, follow Him: but if Baal, then follow him. [See also Amos 5:15.]
* Proverbs 1:29-31 For that they hated [godly] knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord: 30 They would none of My counsel: they despised all My reproof. 31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
* Isaiah 65:12 Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before Mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.
* Isaiah 66:4 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before Mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.
5. Those who entertain the Devil’s thoughts will eventually act upon them.
* Proverbs 23:7a For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.
* Matthew 12:34b,35 [As the saying goes: “The thought is the father of the deed.”] For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
* Romans 1:21,28 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient.
* James 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
6. Although it may seem innocent enough at the start, toying with the Devil is a deadly game!
* Genesis 3:1a [The only one smarter than the Devil is God, and without His help we’re no match for the old serpent:] Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made.
* Proverbs 26:24,25 [We need discernment to see when others are trying to deceive us to get into mischief:] He that hateth, dissembleth [disguises it] with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him; 25 When he speaketh fair, believe him not: for there are seven abominations in his heart. [See also 12:20; Jeremiah 9:4-8]
* Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.
* Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.
* 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
* 1 Peter 5:8,9 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the Devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
7. Don’t entertain evil for an instant!
* Proverbs 3:31 Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.
* Proverbs 4:14-16 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. 16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
* Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
* Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
* Luke 8:13 [If you stray from the Word for long, you’re open prey for the Enemy to attack:] They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
* 2 Corinthians 10:5 [Cast] down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
* Ephesians 4:26,27 … Sin not … 27 Neither give place to the Devil.
8. Don’t allow the Devil a point of entry; avoid situations which lead to temptation.
* Deuteronomy 7:25,26 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it is an abomination to the Lord thy God. 26 Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.
* Psalm 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
* Psalm 119:37 [David prayed desperately:] Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken Thou me in Thy way.
* Proverbs 4:25-27 Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. 26 Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. 27 Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
* 1 Peter 3:11 Let him eschew [turn away from] evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue [pursue] it.
9. Have no fellowship with those who promote evil.
* Ephesians 5:6,7,11 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
* Exodus 23:2a Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil.
* Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
* Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
* Proverbs 4:14,15 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
* Proverbs 24:1,2 Be not thou envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them. 2 For their heart studieth destruction, and their lips talk of mischief.
* 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? Or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? For ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be My sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
* Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
* 2 Peter 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
* Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from Heaven, saying, Come out of her [Babylon], My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
[See also Evil Associations/Bad Company, page 258.]
10. Pray for a godly hatred for all the Devil’s dirt!
* Psalm 97:10a Ye that love the Lord, hate evil.
* Psalm 119:104 Through Thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
* Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
* Amos 5:15a Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate.
* Romans 12:9b Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
11. The Lord can keep you from evil, when you cooperate with Him and do your part.
* Job 5:19 He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee.
* Matthew 6:13a [Keep in close to God in prayer, as Jesus did:] And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
* 1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, Who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
* Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
* 2 Peter 2:9a The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations.
* Revelation 3:10 [Hang onto the Word:] Because thou hast kept the word of My patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions