Definition: Given to frequent changes of mood; temperamental; especially prone to becoming depressed, pessimistic or unpleasant in disposition.
1. Moodiness saps our spiritual and physical strength and leads on a downward spiral.
* Job 23:2 Even today is my complaint bitter: my stroke is heavier than my groaning.
* Psalm 77:3b I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.
* Proverbs 12:25a Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop.
* Proverbs 15:13b By sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
* Proverbs 17:22b A broken spirit drieth the bones.
2. Some common causes of moodiness:
* 1 Samuel 16:14,15 [Saul’s disobediences led to bad mood swings:] But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him. 15 And Saul’s servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee. [See also verse 23.]
* Psalm 31:22 [Impatience and hastiness:] For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before Thine eyes: nevertheless Thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto Thee.
* Proverbs 18:14 [Discouragement:] The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?
* Proverbs 25:28 [Lack of discipline:] He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.
* 2 Corinthians 2:11 [Listening to the discouraging lies of the Devil:] Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices. [See also Ephesians 4:27.]
* James 1:6b,8 [Spiritual instability:] He that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. [See also Matthew 7:26,27.]
3. Moodiness drags down others, so fight it by getting in the Word and having godly fellowship.
* Psalm 119:165 Great peace [of mind] have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
* Proverbs 27:17 [Encourage others by sharing the Word with them.] Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friends.
* Romans 14:7 [Others are affected by our moods:] For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
* Ephesians 6:10-18 Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the Devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. … 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. [See Hebrews 4:12a.]
* Hebrews 3:13 Exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. [See also Isaiah 58:10.]
* 1 John 2:10 [If we love our brothers, we won’t get them down.] He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
4. Tempted to become moody? Resist it by running to the Lord!
* Job 11:13-16 If thou prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands toward Him; 14 If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles. 15 For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear: 16 Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away.
* Psalm 25:17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring Thou me out of my distresses.
* Psalm 42:6a,11 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember Thee. 11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope in God: for I shall yet praise Him, Who is the health of my countenance, and my God. [See also verse 5 and Psalm 43:5.]
* Psalm 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
* Psalm 61:2b When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.
* Psalm 119:59,60 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto Thy testimonies. 60 I made haste, and delayed not to keep Thy commandments.
* Psalm 143:4-8 Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is desolate. 5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Thy works; I muse on the work of Thy hands. 6 I stretch forth my hands unto Thee: my soul thirsteth after Thee, as a thirsty land. Selah. 7 Hear me speedily, O Lord: my spirit faileth: hide not Thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit. 8 Cause me to hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in Thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto Thee.
* Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
* John 15:4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit [the fruits of the Spirit] of itself, except it abide in the Vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in Me. [See also Galatians 5:22,23.]
* 1 Corinthians 15:58 [Paul writes to the Corinthians:] Therefore, my beloved brethern, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not vain in the Lord.
* 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, Who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
* Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering (for He is faithful that promised).
* Hebrews 13:9b For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace.
* 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.
5. Fight moodiness by making a conscious effort to be cheerful, enthusiastic, and speak faith.
* Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
* Proverbs 15:13 A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
* Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
* Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
* James 5:11 [Even if you just “grin and bear it,” God counts that as happiness in the Lord.] Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. [See also 1:12.]
* 1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
6. Staying thankful, positive, and counting our blessings, keeps us from moodiness.
* Psalm 57:7 My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.
* Psalm 103:2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.
* Psalm 107:22 And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare His works with rejoicing.
* 1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
* 2 Corinthians 2:14a Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ.
* Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
* Colossians 3:15-17 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.
* 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice evermore. 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
* 1 Timothy 6:6 But Godliness with contentment is great gain.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions