Definition: To portray a role or demonstrate a skill, such as singing, speaking, acting, before an audience.
1. The objective of performing for the Lord is to show people Jesus and His love.
* Isaiah 8:18 Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
* Isaiah 60:1-3 [When we do shine for the Lord, it helps us to reach people with the Gospel.] Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee. 2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee. 3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
* John 12:32 And I [Jesus], if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto Me.
* Matthew 5:14-16 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.
* 1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar [extraordinary] people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him Who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light.
2. The less there is of us in our performance, the more the Lord shines through.
* John 3:30 He [Jesus] must increase, but I must decrease.
* 2 Corinthians 4:5a For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord.
* Galatians 2:20b I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me.
3. Performing for the Lord means learning to play the role He’s given us to play.
* Jeremiah 1:6-9 [Forget yourself, just yield and let the Lord do it:] Then said I, Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. 7 But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. 8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord. 9 Then the Lord put forth His hand, and touched my mouth. And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put My Words in thy mouth.
* Romans 13:14a Put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ.
* 1 Corinthians 7:20; 2 Peter 1:10 [The ability to performing can be a gift from the Lord, but we still have to work at it.] Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called. … 2 Peter 1:10a Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure.
* 1 Corinthians 9:19-22 [Paul became one, adapting himself in order to win souls, relating to them in ways easier for them to understand.] For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
4. Using performing to reflect the miracles the Lord has done in our lives:
* Psalm 40:3 And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.
* Psalm 51:12,13 Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free Spirit. 13 Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto Thee.
* Psalm 66:16 Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what He hath done for my soul.
* Daniel 4:2 I thought it good to shew the signs and wonders that the high God hath wrought toward me.
5. The Holy Spirit is what makes a performance truly great!
* James 1:17a Every good gift and every perfect gift is from Above.
* Isaiah 61:1a The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek.
* Micah 3:8a But truly I am full of power by the Spirit of the Lord.
* Romans 12:6b [God is the One Who gives you with talents for performing.] Having … gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us. [See also Ephesians 4:7.]
* 1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
* 2 Corinthians 3:18 [Don’t work up glamour, pray down glory.] But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
6. Unless we let the Lord do it, our performance will fall flat!
* Zechariah 4:6b Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.
* John 6:63a It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing.
* John 15:5b Without Me [Jesus] ye can do nothing.
7. For a power-packed performance, pray for the authority and boldness of the Holy Spirit.
* Acts 1:8a But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you.
* Psalm 119:46 I will speak of Thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
* Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
* 1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power. [See also 4:20.]
* 1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our Gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance.
8. Do your practicing beforehand; fill up your heart and get your inspiration ahead of time, then in front of your audience just let the Lord’s Spirit flow.
* Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; … for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
* Psalm 81:10b Open thy mouth wide, and I [The Lord] will fill it.
* Matthew 10:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
* John 7:38,39a He that believeth on Me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of Living Water. 39 (But this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive.)
* John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, Whom the Father will send in My Name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions