Definition: To feel or show high or special regard for; esteem, honor.
1. We are to show respect to fellow believers.
* Psalm 15:4b [A righteous man] honoureth them that fear [respect] the Lord.
* Romans 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another.
* Romans 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear [respect] to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
* Ephesians 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
* Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
2. The respect which we show must be sincere and from the heart.
* Isaiah 29:13,14 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the precept of men: 14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.
* Jeremiah 3:10 And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto Me with her whole heart, but feignedly [only in pretense], saith the Lord. [See also 5:2; Ezekiel 33:31,32.]
* Ephesians 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. [See also Colossians 3:22.]
* 1 Timothy 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned.
3. We should show respect in our conversation with others.
* Psalm 39:1a I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue.
* Psalm 141:3 Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
* Proverbs 10:32 The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness.
* Proverbs 15:28 The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.
* Proverbs 22:11 He that loveth pureness of heart, for the grace of his lips the king shall be his friend.
* Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver. [See Proverbs 15:23.]
* Ecclesiastes 5:2,6 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in Heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few 6 Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?
* Isaiah 50:4 The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: He wakeneth morning by morning, He wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.
* James 1:19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
* James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect [complete, mature] man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
* Titus 3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.
4. Familiarity breeds contempt
* 1 Samuel 17:28-29 [When young David offered to fight the giant Goliath, his brothers mocked him:] And Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spake unto the men; and Eliab’s anger was kindled against David, and he said, Why camest thou down hither? And with whom hast thou left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know thy pride, and the naughtiness of thine heart; for thou art come down that thou mightest see the battle. 29 And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause? [See verses 23-58.]
* 2 Samuel 6:20-23 [David’s wife, Michal, mocks and despises him for his wild public dancing before the Ark, and she displeases the Lord:] Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself! 21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the Lord, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel: therefore will I play before the Lord. 22 And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour. 23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.
* Matthew 13:56,57 [Familiarity existed with Jesus’ Own family and neighbors, who said:] And His sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things? 57 And they were offended in Him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house. [See verses 54-55.]
* Mark 3:21 [Jesus’ friends thought He was insane for preaching the Gospel:] And when His friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on Him: for they said, He is beside Himself. [See also verses 6:3.]
* Luke 10:38-42 [Martha displayed familiarity with Jesus in wrongly accusing Him, as well as her sister:] Now it came to pass, as they went, that He entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received Him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard His Word. 40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to Him, and said, Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me. 41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
* John 7:3-5 [Jesus’] brethren therefore said unto Him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that Thy disciples also may see the works that Thou doest. 4 For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If Thou do these things, shew Thyself to the world. 5 For neither did His brethren believe in Him.
5. The Lord requires the respect of His children.
* Leviticus 10:3b The Lord spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh Me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace. The Lord spoke, saying: By those who come near Me I must be regarded as holy; and before all the people I must be glorified.
* 1 Samuel 2:30b Wherefore the Lord God of Israel saith … them that honour Me I will honour, and they that despise Me shall be lightly esteemed.
* Psalm 22:23 Ye that fear the Lord, praise Him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify Him; and fear [respect] Him, all ye the seed of Israel.
* Proverbs 3:9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
* Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear [respect] God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
* Malachi 1:6 A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is Mine honour? And if I be a Master, where is My fear? Saith the Lord of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise My Name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised Thy Name?
6. Respect is an essential element of marriage.
* Esther 1:10-20 [Proud Queen Vashti’s bad example of showing disrespect for her husband, King Ahasuerus, provoked the making of a royal decree for wives to respect their husbands, and Vashti lost place as queen:] On the seventh day, when the heart of the king was merry with wine, he commanded … the seven chamberlains that served in the presence of Ahasuerus the king, 11 To bring Vashti the queen before the king with the crown royal, to shew the people and the princes her beauty: for she was fair to look on. 12 But the queen Vashti refused to come at the king’s commandment by his chamberlains: therefore was the king very wroth, and his anger burned in him. 13 Then the king said to the wise men … 15 What shall we do unto the queen Vashti according to law, because she hath not performed the commandment of the king Ahasuerus by the chamberlains? 16 And Memucan answered before the king and the princes, Vashti the queen hath not done wrong to the king only, but also to all the princes, and to all the people that are in all the provinces of the king Ahasuerus. 17 For this deed of the queen shall come abroad unto all women, so that they shall despise their husbands in their eyes, when it shall be reported, The king Ahasuerus commanded Vashti the queen to be brought in before him, but she came not. 18 Likewise shall the ladies of Persia and Media say this day unto all the king’s princes, which have heard of the deed of the queen. Thus shall there arise too much contempt and wrath. 19 If it please the king, let there go a royal commandment from him, and let it be written among the laws of the Persians and the Medes, that it be not altered, That Vashti come no more before King Ahasuerus; and let the king give her royal estate unto another that is better than she. [It was given later to Esther.] 20 And when the king’s decree which he shall make shall be published throughout all his empire, (for it is great,) all the wives shall give to their husbands honour, both to great and small.
* Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. [See also verse 24; Colossians 3:18,19; Titus 2:2-5.]
* Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
* 1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
7. We are admonished to show due respect to our parents.
* Exodus 20:12; Ephesians 6:2 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Ephesians 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise [that is, with a blessing attached to it]).
* Leviticus 19:3a Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father.
* Proverbs 23:22 Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old.
* Proverbs 31:28 [Referring to a virtuous woman:] Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
* 1 Timothy 5:4b But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety [respect] at home, and to requite [repay] their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
8. We are also to show due respect to our elders and the aged.
* Leviticus 19:32 Thou shalt rise up before the hoary [white] head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the Lord.
* Job 32:4 Now Elihu had waited till Job had spoken, because they [Job and his friends] were elder than he.
* Proverbs 16:31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.
* 1 Timothy 5:1,2 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren; 2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity.
* 1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
9. Although lack of respect for one’s elders and parents has become more widespread in today’s society, the Lord views it as a serious sin.
* Deuteronomy 27:16a Cursed be he that setteth light by [treats with contempt] his father or his mother.
* 2 Kings 2:23,24 [God’s punishment fell on a gang disrespectful youths who mocked the old prophet Elisha:] As he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. 24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the Name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
* Proverbs 20:20 Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness. [See also Proverbs 30:17.]
* Proverbs 30:11 There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother.
* Matthew 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. [See also Deuteronomy 21:18-21. Under the Old Testament law, this was a capital offense.]
* 2 Timothy 3:1,2 This know also, that in the Last Days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy.
* 2 Peter 2:10,11 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. 11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord. [See also Jude 1:8.]
10. We are to respect and honor godly leadership.
* Philippians 2:29 Receive him [welcome Epaphroditus] therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation.
* 1Thessalonians 5:12,13 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; 13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
* 1Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the Word and doctrine.
* Hebrews 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits and live?
* Hebrews 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the Word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
11. Even if we disagree with them, it is our duty to show respect to those in authority by “saluting the uniform.”
* Exodus 22:28 Thou shalt not revile [God], nor curse the ruler of thy people.
* 1 Samuel 24:6 [David refused to kill King Saul at the request of his men, even though Saul had been trying to kill David, because he still regarded Saul as a man of God, even though a disobedient one:] And he said unto his men, The Lord forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord. [See 1 Samuel 24:1-12; 26:2-25.]
* Proverbs 24:21a My son, fear thou the Lord and the king.
* Ecclesiastes 10:20 Curse not the king, no not in thy thought; and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter.
* Acts 23:5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.
* Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. [See verses 2-7.]
* 1 Timothy 2:1-3 I [Paul] exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all Godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour.
* 1 Peter 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions