Definitions: To seduce means to lead away from duty or proper conduct; to entice or beguile into a desired state or position; to win over; attract; to induce to engage in sex. Beguile means to deceive by cunning means; to distract the attention through trickery or charm.
1. Seduction and deceit are commonly used devices of the Devil.
* Genesis 3:1-6 [Satan used lies and promises of supernatural powers to tempt Eve to disobey God.] Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? 2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. 4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. [See also Genesis 3:13.]
* 1 Kings 11:1-12 [Solomon’s many unbelieving wives drew his heart away from God and brought about his demise as well as the downfall of his kingdom.] King Solomon loved many strange [foreign] women. 2 Of the nations concerning which the Lord said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love. 4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the Lord his God, as was the heart of David his father. 6 And Solomon did evil in the sight of the Lord, and went not fully after the Lord, as did David his father. 8 Likewise did he [build pagan temples] for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods. For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the Lord his God, as was the heart of David his father.
* Proverbs 16:29 A violent man enticeth his neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good.
* 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the Serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity [sincerity, purity] that is in Christ. [See also John 8:44b.]
2. Seducing spirits are one of the signs of the Time of the End.
* Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
* 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the Latter Times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.
* 2 Timothy 3:1-9,13 [Paul describes the wickedness of man in the “Last Days”:] This know also, that in the Last Days perilous times shall come. … 13 Evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
* 2 Peter 3:3b,4 There shall come in the Last Days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4 And saying, Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the Creation.
* Jude 1:16-19 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men’s persons in admiration because of advantage. 17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; 18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the Last Time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. 19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
* Revelation 12:9 [The Devil’s ability to deceive the world reaches its peak in the Endtime.] And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
* Revelation 13:13,14b [The Devil uses signs and wonders to seduce and trick the world.] And he [the false prophet] doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, 14b And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the Beast.
3. The use of charm to deceive:
* Psalm 12:2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.
* Proverbs 9:13-18 A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple [cheaply seductive], and knoweth nothing. 14 For she sitteth at the door of her house, on a seat in the high places of the city, 15 To call passengers who go right on their ways: 16 Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: and as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him, 17 Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. 18 But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of Hell.
* Jeremiah 5:26-31 [Beware the seduction of worldly commercialism, materialism and religion:] For among My people are found wicked men: they lay wait, as he that setteth snares; they set a trap, they catch men. 27 As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit: therefore they are become great, and waxen rich. 28 They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge. 29 Shall I not visit for these things? Saith the Lord: shall not My Soul be avenged on such a nation as this? 30 A wonderful and horrible thing is committed in the land; 31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and My people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?
* Matthew 7:15,16a Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16a Ye shall know them by their fruits.
* Acts 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
* Romans 16:17b,18b [Paul warns of those who cause division and who lead people astray while pretending to be “good.”] Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. … 18b By good words and fair speeches [they] deceive the hearts of the simple [naïve].
* 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
* Colossians 2:4,8,18 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. … 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. … 18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind.
* 2 Peter 2:3a [False teachers who deceive for profit:] And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you.
* 2 Peter 2:18,19 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean [newly] escaped from them who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. [See also Acts 20:30.]
4. Charmers and seducers use a pretense of love in their attempt to achieve selfish goals.
* Ezekiel 33:31b For with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.
* Genesis 39:7,10 [Potiphar’s wife attempts to seduce Joseph:] And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. … 10 And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her. [See also verses 11-20, which show how the master’s wife, when she couldn’t get her way, lied, falsely accusing Joseph, resulting in his imprisonment.]
* Judges 16:6,16,17a And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee. 16 And it came to pass, when she pressed him daily with her words, and urged him, so that his soul was vexed unto death; 17a That he told her all his heart. [Upon learning the secret of Samson’s strength, Delilah betrayed him to the Philistines, who imprisoned and blinded him.]
* Matthew 14:6-8 But when Herod’s birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. 7 Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. 8 And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist’s head in a charger.
5. Considering where their “come-ons” lead to, ungodly seducers really aren’t so “charming” after all!
* Proverbs 5:3-5 [In Proverbs, the analogy of a seductress is often used to represent materialism or the worldly materialistic system.] For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil: 4 But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword. 5 Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on Hell.
* Proverbs 7:21-25 With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him. 22 He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks; 23 Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life. 24 Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth. 25 Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
6. Those who are spiritually attuned see through the charm of ungodly seducers and distance themselves.
* Deuteronomy 13:6a,8 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, … 8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him.
* Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
* Proverbs 2:10,11,16 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; 11 Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee: 16 To deliver thee from the strange woman, even from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
* Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive.
* Ephesians 5:6-11 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
* 2 Timothy 3:5,6 Having a form of Godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts.
7. Truth resisted loses its power over the soul; and the Lord lets us be deceived or deluded because of our rejection of His Word.
* Isaiah 66:4,5 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before Mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not. 5 Hear the Word of the Lord, ye that tremble at His Word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for My Name’s sake, said, Let the Lord be glorified: but He shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.
* Ezekiel 12:2 Son of man, thou dwellest in the midst of a rebellious house, which have eyes to see, and see not; they have ears to hear, and hear not: for they are a rebellious house.
* Ezekiel 14:7-9 For every one … which separateth himself from Me, and setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to a prophet to inquire of him concerning Me; I the Lord will answer him by Myself. … 9 And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out My hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of My people Israel.
* 2 Thessalonians 2:10b,11 Because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
* James 1:13,14 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
[See also 1 Kings 13.]
8. God can keep us from temptation.
* Psalm 32:7 Thou art my hiding place; Thou shalt preserve me from trouble; Thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
* Psalm 121:4-8 Behold, He that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The Lord is thy keeper. … 7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: He shall preserve thy soul. 8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
* Proverbs 3:26 For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
* Proverbs 6:23,24 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life: 24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.
* 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, Who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
* 2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto His Heavenly Kingdom: to Whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
9. Prayers for the Lord to keep us from the seductions of the worldly system:
* Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in Thee do I put my trust.
* Psalm 25:21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on Thee.
* Psalm 40:11 Withhold not Thou Thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let Thy lovingkindness and Thy truth continually preserve me.
* Psalm 116:6 The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and He helped me.
* Psalm 140:1 Deliver me, O Lord, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man;
* Proverbs 2:8 He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of His saints.
* Matthew 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For Thine is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
* John 17:15 [Jesus ever lives to intercede for us.] I pray not that Thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that Thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions