Definition: Kindness, consideration, tenderness, friendliness; not severe, violent or loud.
1. Jesus is often characterized in both the Old and New Testaments by His gentleness.
* Isaiah 40:11 He shall feed His flock like a shepherd: He shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
* Isaiah 42:3 A bruised reed shall He not break, and the smoking flax shall He not quench: He shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
* Isaiah 53:7 [Jesus gently laid down His life for us as a sacrificial lamb:] He was oppressed, and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth: He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so He openeth not His mouth.
* Matthew 11:29 Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
* Luke 13:14b How oft I would have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
* Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of His goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
* 2 Corinthians 10:1a Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ.
* James 5:11b The Lord is very pitiful [compassionate], and of tender mercy.
2. Gentleness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
* Galatians 5:22,23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
* James 3:17,18 But the wisdom that is from Above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
3. Contrary to modern worldly concepts, gentleness is a strength rather than a sign of weakness.
* Psalm 18:35b Thy gentleness hath made me great. [See also 2 Samuel 22:36.]
* Proverbs 16:32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.
* Ecclesiastes 7:8b The patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
* Isaiah 30:15b In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.
* Zechariah 4:6b Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.
* Philemon 1:8,9a Wherefore, though I might be much bold in Christ to enjoin [order, command] thee that which is convenient, 9 Yet for love’s sake I rather beseech [appeal to] thee.
* James 1:19,20 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
4. A gentle spirit is a requirement of true Christians.
* Romans 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another.
* Philippians 4:5a Let your moderation [gentleness] be known unto all men.
* 2 Timothy 2:24,25 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth.
* Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering.
* Titus 3:2,3 [Gentleness is a part of the sample of our lives changed by the power of God.] Speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. 3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
* 1 Thessalonians 2:7-8 [The Apostle Paul was a good example of a gentle shepherd.] But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children: 8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the Gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.
* 1 Peter 3:8-9 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful [tenderhearted], be courteous: 9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Aurora Productions